Custom Search

Monday, June 2, 2008

I come, I see, I flee.

Yeah, that's been my job, at least for the last 7 days.
But before anybody starts to question my sincerity, i must mention that I've graced the office with my presence, however fleeting, for 23 straight days .
Everyday I tell myself, come what may, I would definitely do some work today. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my supervisor(s) don't seem to share the same enthusiasm.
Fair enough, they have their own problems to deal with, attrition being the one of them.
Unable to handle the intense heat, the workers suddenly start quitting their jobs around June every year. Also, the machines find this time apt to breakdown or malfunction. Consequently the productivity nose-dives and the tension lines ( more like trenches) start to widen on the manger's forehead.
Amid all the chaos though, the maintenance head has been able to retain his sense of humor.

Just the other day....

worker: "Sir machine chal nahin rahi hai..."
head: "Fir...?"

*the helpless worker stays quiet*
*the head looks at him very earnestly and says...*

head : " Aisa kar, tu market ja aur ek Hanumanji ki photo le a. Use machine ke pass rakhte hain aur nariyal phodte hain, shayad machine chal pade, nahin?"

*worker gives a sheepish smile*


Deprived of my supervisor's attention, I tried to keep myself busy by just looking around and observing stuff. But the workers don't seem to like it, as I've vividly described in my previous posts.
Not having someone watching over you isn't that bad, really. With the office being barely 200 m from where I stay, I went there every day, took a 'O' shaped path and exited from the door I entered. Meanwhile, if I happened to see the supervisor, I met him and we chatted for a while. But I generally tried to avoid such 'encounters' and hence at times I contorted my path to a much more swift and efficient 'U' shape.
You must be wondering, why do I go there after all.
Well, it's kind of more satisfying to return after having taken a round. Don't ask why, but it just is.

This week has been a complete dud, and also, with the completion of the IPL, a yawing gap would be left in my daily routine for the following weeks.
I would be signing off now, hoping that the next week would be far more productive, at least work-wise, after all an interim report is due on the 15th.

Ciao!

No comments: